If you have a website and want to generate revenue out of it then you need to do marketing. You can either opt for organic marketing and marketing on social media platforms or choose to do PPC marketing campaign. If you have just heard about PPC campaigns or are curious to know more about it or you are already aware of PPC marketing, then read on to know more about the basics of PPC . If you want to make use of PPC for your website and business but do not know where to start, then here you will get complete information about basics of PPC. We will tell you everything about pay per click advertising and how you can make it work for your business. Let us first learn the definition of PPC to get a better understanding of this marketing technique.
What is PPC?
PPC means pay per click which is an internet marketing model that allows advertising by paying a fee every time the advertisement is clicked. It is a way by which website owners buy visits for their web pages in a short time rather than doing organic marketing to attract visitors.
PPC is an advertising platform that is included in search engine advertising. This system allows businesses to bid for placement of ads in the sponsored links of search engines and show up when a user searches the keyword which is associated with their business products or services. For instance, if we are planning our bid on the keyword PPC software when someone searches for software for PPC then our link will show upright on the top of the search results. Below the paid sponsored links, links of pages with organic optimization are listed. So PPC gives the benefit to stay ahead of pages that are optimized organically after months of planning and work.
But search engines do not charge anything for showing your page in top results in search results. When the ad is being clicked by a user and the search engine sends a visitor to your website then you are charged a small fee by the search engine. If the PPC marketing campaign that you have set up is accurate then the fee charged is trivial. This is because the amount of revenue that you will generate out of that click is much more than what you are paying for it. In simple words, if you are paying a few dollars for a click but in turn making a business of hundreds of dollars then your campaign is worth it.
The concept of PPC marketing campaign might seem simple i.e. You must search for keywords and then bid on it. But in reality, to create a winning campaign of AdWords, you need to do a lot of research and you need experience too. It includes researching well to find the right keywords for your business, then organizing the keywords to make a well-organized campaign, and create ad groups, creating landing pages associated with your PPC campaign that can bring about lead conversions. If you can create intelligent targeted and relevant pay per click campaigns, then you will be rewarded by search engines in the form of low charges for ad clicks. If your landing pages and ads are considered as satisfying and useful by users then google will reduce the ad charges for you, this will lead to better profits for your business. So, if you are planning to make use of paid AdWords to promote your brand, product, services, or yourself then it is better to learn how to do it right first. If not, then you can hire a PPC campaign digital marketing specialist to do the job for you. In either case, it is better to know about PPC, and it’s working so that you know that your money is being used in the correct way of marketing.
What is the concept of Google ads?
Google ads such as earlier known as Google AdWords is the most popular system of PPC advertising globally which works for all industries. This platform of advertising enables organizations to make ads that appear on the most popular search engine I.e. Google as well as on other apps and properties of Google.
These ads are operated on the model of pay per click, wherein the users place bids on keywords and they pay for every click made on their ads. The businesses do not pay anything unless they get a visit on their web page via the search engine. When a user initiates a search then the algorithm of Google digs into the numerous ads that are placed by advertisers and randomly chooses a set of ads that are shown in the top position on their search results page which is the valuable ad position. The ads that appear on top are chosen based upon several factors such as the quality of advertisement, relevance between the ad campaigns, and search keyword as also the size of the bid for the keyword.
To be more specific, the business which gets to appear on the top position is chosen based on the Ad Rank of the advertiser which is a metric calculated by multiplying two important factors. These are CPC of the bid which is the maximum amount which an advertiser is ready to spend and QC I.e. quality score which is a value which is calculated based upon landing page quality, click-through rate, and relevance of your advertisement. The top advertisers that get their place on a search engine page get the benefit to reach out to potential customers at minimal cost which suits their budget. It can be considered as a type of auction too.
Using Google ads to perform PPC Marketing Campaign is quite valuable because Google is the top-rated and most used search engine, there is massive traffic on the search engine of Google and so by advertising on this platform you get a greater number of clicks and impressions of high quality on your web pages. How frequently will your ad appear on the search engine page would depend upon the match types and keywords that you are choosing? Numerous factors determine the success of your PPC ad campaign, but you can get a lot of benefit by focusing on these points:
- Keyword relevance: Choose keywords that are relevant to your products, services, or brand that you want to advertise. Make use of related keywords list, long-tail keywords, tight groups of keywords, and use appropriate text or image or video in the advertisement. You can make use of the keyword search tool of Google for the best results.
- Quality of your landing page: create landing pages that are highly optimized with relevant content, persuasive, and have a simple call to action that is tailored to the needs of the user’s search queries.
- Quality score: This is the rating given by Google to the quality of your ad based on the relevance of the keywords you are using, PPC campaigns, and landing pages. Businesses that get better quality scores can acquire better advertising and clicks and that too at less price.
- Creative: it is vital to make an enticing advertisement. You can make use of ad creator tools too that will help you create awesome ads for the display network that can demand being clicked.
PPC Keyword Research:
It can be too much time consuming to do keyword research for your PPC campaign. But it is an indispensable and most important aspect of your marketing campaign, after all, you want high returns from your marketing investment. The entire PPC campaign is built around keywords and if you want to run a successful Google ad campaign then you need to grow as well as refine your keyword list for PPC continuously. If you are planning to do keyword research only once while you start your first campaign then you will miss out on a lot. You will miss out on thousands of long-tails, valuable, highly relevant, and low-cost keywords that can benefit your website and marketing too. So, it is important to keep a check on your campaigns, analyse their effectiveness, and constantly update and upgrade your ads and keyword list as well.
Here are the components of an effective keyword list for PPC campaign:
- Relevance: any business would not like to pay for web traffic that just browses on your website for a few seconds and then disappear. It will do no good for your business because irrelevant traffic has nothing associated with your business. So, it is necessary to search for targeted keywords that will provide you with a higher click-through rate in PPC campaigns, increase your business profit, and effectively reduce your cost per click. It means that the keywords that you choose to bid on should be very much related to the services or products that you want to sell.
- Exhaustive: the keyword research that you do should include not only the most frequently searched and most popular terms in your niche, but it must also include the long tail of the terms used for searching. These are known as long-tail keywords. These types of keywords are less common and more specific, but they also benefit by adding up to account for the major part of your search-driven traffic. In addition to this, they have very little competition and so they are not that expensive too.
- Expansive: the nature of PPC is iterative. So you must constantly expand and refine your PPC campaigns and make an environment wherein your list of keywords is continuously adapting and growing.
If you want to see the very high-volume and industry-specific keywords for use in your campaigns of PPC then be sure that you check out all the popular keywords.
Managing the PPC Campaigns
After you create the new campaigns, you need to manage this regularly and make sure that this would be continuing to be more effective. The regular activity on the account is the best predictor for successful accounts. You must continuously analyze the performance of the account and have to make the below mentioned adjustments for optimizing the campaigns.
Add PPC Keywords: You must expand the PPC campaigns by adding the popular keywords which are very relevant to the business.
Split the Ad Groups: You need to improve the quality score and the click-through rate by splitting the ad groups into very much smaller and more relevant ad groups. This will help you all in creating more targeted landing pages and ad text
Adding Negative Keywords: When you are trying for non-converting terms like the negative keywords then this would improve the relevancy of the campaign and this will reduce the time which is wasted.
Review of the Costly PPC Keywords: Under-performing Keywords, you can remove them if this is necessary.
Refinement of the landing pages: When you are modifying the content and align them to the landing pages then this would be individual search queries which will boost the conversion rates. Never send all the traffic on single pages.
As you move forward to the different elements of the PPC campaign management then you can learn more about it.
When you are ready for starting the PPC then you can skip the setup of the Google Ads account for the time being.
If you are already having some of the Ads accounts, then we would be suggesting using some of the Free AdWords Performance. This will help in the zero areas of improvement. In as less as 60 seconds you would be receiving the customized reports grading for the performance of the accounts. There are other 9 key areas which include the Quality Score, click-through rate, and account activity. If you have just heard about PPC marketing campaign or are curious to know more about it or you are already aware of PPC marketing, then read the above details well. If you want to make use of PPC for your website and business but do not know where to start, then here you will get complete information about PPC.